One of my favorite gifts this year was an AIR FRYER. I LOVE fried food, but never deep-fry anything -- too messy, too bad for you, etc. A kitchen gadget that could give me the feeling of fried food without frying?! Count me in!
I have been having a blast playing with it. I have had some really good successes that I'm excited to share with you (onion rings, cheese sticks, breaded eggplant) and some other attempts that need improvement.
I thought I'd start out the Air Fryer love with a delicious, easy and totally resolution-safe snack. These polenta snacks are crispy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside and really flavorful. I like them plain or with a cup of soup. My son likes to dip them in ketchup.
The proportions here are for one serving. I like to keep the extra polenta in the fridge, so I can cook up a small batch over a few days and enjoy a delicious, hot, fresh treat right when I want it. If you want to cook the whole tube of polenta, just multiply the ingredients by 4.
AIR FRYER CRISPY POLENTA SNACKS (vegan, gluten-free, top 8 allergen free)
Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 tube of polenta
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees (F).
- Cut the polenta in 4 equal wedges, and then slice each wedge into approximately 1-inch pieces.
- In a lidded container or in a zip-top bag, shake together spices.
- Add the polenta slices, and shake to coat.
- Cook in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes, shaking once halfway through.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Super Seeds and Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.