One of the best parts of being a member of the allergy community over the past several years has been meeting (virtually and in person) so many smart, caring, interesting people who I am proud to now call my friends. One of these friends is Lisa Cantkier. Lisa is a holistic nutritionist and a dynamo in the gluten-free and natural foods world.
Lisa has teamed up with another holistic nutritionist, Jill Hillhouse, to write a new book, The Paleo Diabetes Diet Solution. They asked me to review it and share a recipe.
This book is full of information about Type 2 Diabetes and their approach to address it through a paleo diet. As a vegan, I don't agree with some aspects of a paleo diet -- eating animal products like meat, fish and eggs -- but other aspects of the paleo approach work with my food philosophy. Lisa and Jill advise focusing on unprocessed whole foods, while steering clear of preservatives and trans fats. That I agree with!
I also know the need to adjust your eating to maximize your health, and I support anything that works for you.
Even with a vegan diet, there was a lot I could enjoy or adapt in this book, though to be honest, there were several recipes that did not work for me. Some recipes that I'm looking forward to trying are:
- Beets in Mustard Sauce
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Avocado Mint Sauce
- Coconut Banana Soft Serve
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (approx.), divided 30 mL
- 11⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 medium), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch (1 cm) cubes 750 g
- 41⁄2 tsp ground cumin, divided 22 mL
- 3 tsp chili powder, divided 15 mL
- 3⁄4 tsp sea salt (approx.), divided 3 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 2
- 1 bunch curly or Lacinato kale (about 10 oz/300 g), center ribs and tough stems removed, leaves shredded 1
- 1 tbsp filtered water 15 mL
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available now! Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.