|Photo credit: Bill Milne|
While cold weather calls for soup, warm weather sings out for salads. Cool, crunchy, nourishing salad.
This Massaged Kale Salad from Super Seeds is a lovely canvas on which to add the colors of spring and summer -- sliced fruit and vegetables add interest to this delicious and filling salad. How about adding some sliced strawberries, mango or nectarine, blueberries or pineapple chunks, or orange peppers and cucumbers? Delicious! And the hemp seeds add some protein along with their nutty earthiness. Yum!
Super Seeds is full of recipes that are quick to put together and summer friendly. Now's a great time to pick up a copy so you're ready for summer potlucks, al fresco dinners and cool breakfasts.
Massaged Kale Salad (reprinted from Super Seeds)
Makes 2 servings
You can add any vegetables or fruits that you like to make this basic kale salad more complex. There is nothing basic, however, about kale’s superfood nutrition profile, and its chewy, earthy taste makes it an exciting alternative to ordinary salad greens. This salad pairs beautifully with lasagna and makes a great meal to serve when you have company— it’s easy to pull together so that you can spend more time with your guests.
- 4 cups raw kale, center ribs and stems removed, and torn into 1- to 2-inch pieces(or use 4 cups baby kale)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ½ ripe avocado, cut into medium dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine kale and lemon juice.
2. Massage the kale with your bare hands for several minutes, until the leaves are much
more tender. (If you’re using baby kale, you can massage the leaves just enough to coat
with lemon juice, as they are already tender.)
3. Set aside for 1 hour or longer.
4. In a dry skillet, toast hemp seeds over medium heat for 1 minute.
5. Toss together all ingredients and serve.
If you have Super Seeds and you're enjoying it, would you please help me get it to more people by leaving a review on Amazon? Thanks so much if you can!
My new book, SUPER SEEDS, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.