I am so excited for you all to see the beauty that is SUPER SEEDS! I can say that since I had nothing to do with the gorgeous photos or super-cute design. All of the recipes are vegan, almost all are either gluten-free or have a gluten-free option, and almost all have a nut-free and soy-free option, too.
This week I whipped up a batch of the brownies from SUPER SEEDS. They use chia as the egg replacer, and I since I almost always have some on hand, it was easy to indulge our desire for a sweet treat.
Seeing that container of brownies sitting on my counter gave me an irresistible urge to transform those chocolatey treats into an ice cream. With a container of light coconut milk in the pantry and my ice cream maker ready to go, we were enjoying this delicious ice cream for dessert in just a couple of hours!
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture in a lidded container, and fluff with it a fork every half hour or so, until it's frozen.
Since you don't have the SUPER SEEDS brownie recipe yet (though you can pre-order the book, so you're ready as soon as it ships), you can use the one from Welcoming Kitchen.
Vegan, gluten-free, allergy-safe brownie ice cream? Now that's something to scream about!
Brownies & Cream Ice Cream (vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free)
Makes 4 servings
- 1 14-ounce can of light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar (evaporated cane juice or coconut palm sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups brownie chunks
- Combine all ingredients except brownies in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir over heat until sugar is completely dissolved (2 or 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat, pour into a non-reactive bowl, and chill in refrigerator for an hour (or more.)
- Prepare according to ice cream maker's directions.
- Add brownie chunks in last couple of minutes of freezing.
- Ice cream will have a soft-serve consistency straight from the machine. For firmer ice cream, chill in the freezer for another hour or two.
My new book, SUPER SEEDS, is available for pre-order now. You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.