- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup neutral tasting oil (canola, safflower, or sunflower)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided (I like Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray an 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Combine sugar, oil, and water in a microwave safe bowl or small saucepan. If using a microwave, heat on high for 1 minute. If using a saucepan, heat over medium heat, stirring until hot, but not boiling (about 2 minutes). Stir half of the chocolate chips and the vanilla into the sugar mixture until the chips are melted. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour ,baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine apple sauce and baking powder. Add the apple sauce mixture to the chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour mixture, one half at a time. Add the remaining chocolate chips. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Super Seeds and Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.