Crunchy cabbage lightly coated in tangy dressing should be enjoyed year round.
This is a basic, but delicious coleslaw for fall. The purple cabbage has that rich color that seems autumnal to me. Apple cider adds a hint of sweetness with a nod to other fall flavors. And dijon mustard? So good!
You don't have to keep this salad simple, though. Feel free to turn it into a hearty main-dish salad by adding sunflower seeds, dried fruit, rich avocado and sweet peppers (or anything else that strikes your fancy)!
You can serve this slaw alongside your favorite fall entree or put some on a sandwich to add some crunch (hummus would be nice).
Purple Cabbage Coleslaw (vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free, food allergy friendly)
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage (just slice up with a sharp knife)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons apple cider
- In a small bowl or jar, combine mustard and cider.
- Toss cabbage with dressing.
- Enjoy right away, or let it sit for a while and it gets even better!
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available now! Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.