I like to wow my boys with a treat for breakfast once in a while. Today was one of those days.
This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mug Cake might just make me mom of the year. At least for the moment.
I don't even feel guilty about giving them this treat for breakfast (or too guilty!). It's a cake that's whole-grain, gluten-free, vegan, no added sugar and it has pumpkin! It's got to be kinda good for you, right? And, my boys will tell you that chocolate is a superfood, so adding the optional chocolate chips just makes it all the more healthy in their eyes!
If you need a sweet treat later in the day, this might be a little more appropriate.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mug Cake (vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, food allergy safe)
Makes 1 cake
- 5 tablespoons oat flour (gluten free, if necessary)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg & 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple juice or water
- optional: 1 tablespoon allergy-free chocolate chips
- In a mug or ramekin , whisk together flour, salt, spice and baking powder.
- Thoroughly mix in remaining ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Microwave for one minute.
- Note: If you'd prefer to make this without a microwave, you can bake it in an oven-safe vessel at 350F for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Shared with Allergy Free Wednesday.
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.