I had so much fun working on Super Seeds , that I'm finishing up writing another book. I'll tell you all about it later, but for now, I wanted to share a little something that can not wait until next spring for you to try it.
I have said it before, but I'll say it again ... often when you have to adapt a conventional food to meet your special diet needs you come away with something better. Something delicious. Something with higher-quality ingredients. Something craveable. Something you can feel good about eating right off the spoon.
This Sunny Chocolate Coconut Butter doesn't just stand in for sugar-loaded chocolate nut butters, like Nutella, it takes their place! It's crammed full of goodness: sunflower seeds, coconut, cocoa and agave. There's not a speck of palm oil, sugar or dairy here. Just good stuff.
I've been having a bit of a crush on Coconut Butter lately. It's delicious spread on toast or baked into goodies, but it wasn't enough. I needed to take it one step further.
Sunny Chocolate Coconut Butter (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free, allergen-free)
Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups
2 cups shelled sunflower seeds*
3 cups of unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-5 tablespoons coconut Oil
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- *If you are using raw sunflower seeds, lightly toast them in a 200-degree (f) oven for 2-3 minutes, just to warm them up and release their aroma. Watch them, because you don't want them to burn. If you are using roasted sunflower seeds, you can skip this step.
- Break down coconut flakes into smooth coconut butter in your food processor . This can take 10-15 minutes. Scraped down the sides a few times as it processes. See this post if you need more information.
- Add remaining ingredients, using just 3 tablespoons of the coconut oil , process until smooth. If you need it to be thinner and smoother add a little more coconut oil.
- Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
- To use, let hardened butter soften for a few minutes at room temperature before spreading.
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.