Winter desserts can be heavier, filling, warming.
Spring calls for something else. Something lighter. Something fresh tasting.
These lemon cookies fit the bill for a lovely spring treat. Not only do they have the sweet-tart deliciousness you expect from a lemon cookie, but they have a slight flavor of coconut from the coconut oil that marries beautifully with these pretty sweets.
This recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of vanilla flavored coconut yogurt. You can eat the remaining yogurt from the container or freeze it for later. It will be good for at least 3 months in the freezer. Thaw before using.
Iced Lemon Cookies (Gluten-free, Vegan, Allergen-free)
Makes 36 cookies
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder, divided
1-1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Zest of a 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla coconut yogurt
Zest of a 1/2 lemon
1 cup powdered sugar
- For cookies, in a large bowl, thoroughly combine coconut oil and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine applesauce with 1/4 teaspoon baking powder then add to coconut oil mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, brown rice flour, remaining 1 teaspoon baking powder, and salt. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet, then mix in yogurt, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap or store in a covered container, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and top a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust work surface and rolling pin with powdered sugar. Roll dough out to 1/8-inch thick and cut with cookie cutters. On prepared baking sheet, place cookies and bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, in a food processor or bowl, combine coconut oil and yogurt. Add lemon zest and powdered sugar and blend until smooth.
- Frost each cookie with an offset spatula or knife.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available for pre-order now. Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.