Did you ever get a treat in the mail that was even better than you had hoped? That is exactly how I feel about my copy of The Blender Girl Cookbook by Tess Masters. Not only does it contain 100 easy, healthy gluten-free and vegan recipes, but it is chock full of tips, information, advice and Tess' warm personality.
This book delivers on its promise for "super-easy" and "super-healthy" recipes. I had friends over yesterday at the last minute to celebrate a friend's new baby (the beautiful Eden). I needed a company-worthy dish that came together quickly and that wouldn't burn the baby if we dropped some on her head! I whipped up the watermelon gazpacho from The Blender Girl Cookbook, and it was delightful. It was fresh and summery and made the lunch feel like a party.
Each of the recipes is gluten-free and vegan (so egg, dairy and animal-free), but nuts and soy are present in a fair number of the recipes. I think the book is still worthwhile, even with those allergies, though, because there is so much information that will be helpful to anyone interested in healthy eating, and there are many recipes that will work regardless of restriction.
Did I mention that this book is GORGEOUS?
My soup turned out beautiful, but I could not come close to capturing is prettiness like the picture in the book does, so I'm going to show you that one (with permission, of course)!
|Photo Credit: Anson Smart|
This recipe for Watermelon Gazpacho is provided courtesy of Tess Masters and The Blender Girl Cookbook.
- serves 8 as a starter, 6 as a main
- 4 cups (640g) roughly chopped seedless watermelon, plus 6 cups (960g) diced
- 2 cups (300g) diced tomato
- 1 cup (145g) peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup (70g) diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced green serrano chile, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon natural salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Ginger Apple Pear Butter
- If You're Chilly Grab Some Chili
- Cheerful Chimichurri Bowl
- Pineapple Vanilla Sangria
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.