Summer eating might be light, but it doesn't need to be boring!
Combining flavors and textures is never easier than with the bounty that shows up on grocery shelves, in farmer's markets and in CSA baskets in the warmer months.
These spring rolls are a case in point. The combine crunchy, creamy and chewy textures with sweet, sharp and even a little bit bitter flavors. Together, these combine to keep you taste buds buzzing. This slaw uses shredded brussels sprouts as a base, and I love it! It really brings an interesting dimension to slaw. I used unsulphered apricots as the natural golden brown color of the apricot slices blends in nicely with the fresh green of the slaw and the bright red of the apple peel.
Spring rolls not your thing? You can mix up a bowl of the slaw to serve as a salad alongside all your summer BBQ favorites.
I shared this recipe with Wellness Weekend.
Summer Slaw Spring Rolls
Makes 5 or 6 spring rolls
- 5 or 6 spring roll wrappers (I used rice flour papers.)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red apple (I used Gala.)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced avocado
- 1 cup shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-Agave dressing (recipe below)
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except spring roll wrappers. Toss to evenly distribute ingredients and dressing.
- Fill a shallow dish with warm water. (I used a pie plate.)
- Place one spring roll wrapper in water and let soften; it should take a minute or two.
- Once soft remove wrapper to a plate, spoon filling (maybe 2 tablespoons depending on the size of your wrapper) onto the wrapper. You want to scoop it into a line leaving a border of at least 1 1/2 inches at the top and on the left side.
- Tuck the top and the bottom of the wrapper over the filling, and tuck the left side over the folded wrapper and filling. Roll filled wrapper to the right until all of the wrapper is tucked up. (In other words, wrap like a burrito!)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all ingredients into a small jar.
- Shake to combine.