|Cocoa Dusted Pepitas|
Summer brings a snack conundrum.
You still want to have treats, but you don't want to heat up the kitchen.
Obviously, fresh fruit and frozen delights come into play. Today, I made up a batch of cocoa-dusted pepitas using my toaster oven. It didn't heat up the kitchen, so I got the treat without the heat!
Cocoa-dusted almonds are all the rage. I took this idea and changed it up to make it nut-free and added a little twist. Where other recipes use agave nectar or sugar, I kept it vegan (no egg whites here) and used all-fruit preserves for a natural sweetness.
I shared this with Wellness Weekend and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry all-fruit preserves
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together preserves and salt.
- Stir in pepitas until well coated.
- Spoon cocoa powder into a zip top bag.
- Add coated pepitas.
- Close bag and shake to coat.
- Bake 10 minutes stirring once.
- Let cool.
Note: If you are using a toaster oven, you don't need to preheat it. Bake them 8 or 9 minutes.
Find more tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.