What could be more comforting than a hearty casserole topped with mashed potatoes?
Not much, in my opinion. (Unless you top said casserole with your favorite gravy!)
Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Makes 6 servings
1 cup kasha (roasted buckwheat)
1 gluten-free, vegan boullion cube
1/4 cup flaxseed meal (or ground flaxseed)
1/4 cup onion, small diced
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 peeled carrots, medium dice
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 medium baking potatoes
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat oven to 375.
2) In a small saucepan, combine kasha, boullion and 2 cups water.
3) Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
4) Simmer 10 minutes then remove from heat. Set aside.
5) Peel and cube potatoes.
6) In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and water to cover.
7) Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
8) Simmer uncovered until potatoes are fork-tender (How long this takes depends on how large you cut your potatoes.)
9) In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal with one cup warm water. Set aside.
10) In a small skillet*, heat one teaspoon olive oil over medium flame.
11) Add onion and garlic, cook until fragrant and softened -- 2 to 3 minutes.
12) In a 2-quart casserole or baking dish, combine cooked kasha, onion and garlic, carrots, drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, and flaxseed slurry.
13) Press down on mixture with the back of a spoon or your hand. Set aside.
14) When potatoes are fork-tender (easily pierced with a fork), drain them and place them in a large bowl.
15) Add non-dairy milk, remaining olive oil and salt.
16) Mash with a potato masher or fork.
17) Spread mashed potatoes over kasha mixture.
18) Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly golden.
*Sometimes I use my large cast iron skillet at step 10, following the same instructions. I just bake everything together in the skillet.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Super Seeds and Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.