For our Mother's Day, my sister and I like to make a little treat for our mom. Because we're both moms, too, though, we don't want to work too hard.
This vegan, gluten-free whole-grain Cinnamon Coffee Cake is the perfect treat for our Mother's Day. It's super easy to pull together, but tastes great. All we need to make our morning complete is some hot coffee, some fresh fruit and this cake.
If you're still looking for something special to make for your mom, give this Cinnamon Coffee Cake a whirl. (Like the idea of whole-grain treats? You'll love my new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life).
Cinnamon Coffee Cake (vegan, gluten-free, allergen free)
Makes 15 pieces
- oil or spray to coat pan
- 2 cups oat flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (like evaporated cane juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vanilla non-dairy yogurt (I like So Delicious.)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for topping:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar (evaporated cane juice)
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (sunflower, canola, etc.)
- 1/4 cup oat flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly oil 9x13-inch baking pan with either spray oil or lightly brushed-on oil
- In a large bowl whisk together oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix in yogurt and non-dairy milk.
- Mix apple cider vinegar into batter.
- Spread batter into prepared pan
- In a small bowl, mix together topping ingredients.
- Drop little globs of topping all over the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available now! Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.