Vegan Sweet Potato Street Tacos (vegan, gluten-free, food allergy friendly)
Makes 9 tacos
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce + 1 tablespoon extra adobo sauce
- 1 medium white or yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper to taste (approximatelly 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (approximately 4 ptoatoes)
- 9 corn tortillas
- diced white onion and cilantro for garnish
- In a food processor, finely mince garlic, chipotles plus extra adobo sauce, and onion.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a stock pot or large sauce pan.
- Add vegetables and spices, saute until fragrant (approximately 2 to 3 minutes)
- Add vinegar and half the water, let simmer uncovered for 7 minutes.
- Add remaining water, stir and simmer for another 8 minutes.
- While onion sauce is cooking, shred scrubbed sweet potatoes with their skin in a food processor or with a box grater.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add sweet potatoes. Cook for five minutes without stirring.
- After five minutes, stir sweet potatoes and continue cooking until tender with crispy bits, approximately 10 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf from onion mixture and stir in lime juice.
- Add sweet potatoes, and stir thoroughly.
- Let flavors meld for at least five minutes over medium heat.
- Heat corn tortillas in a dry skillet.
- Divide filling among tortillas.
- Top with onions and cilantro.
This recipe was shared with Allergy-free Wednesday.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available for pre-order now. Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.