Sometimes I just don't feel like I have the time to cook the way I want to. In my mind, I'm crafting healthy, delicious and varied dinners every day of the week. In reality, sometimes dinner time comes and I haven't a clue what to make. Nothing is prepped, my family is hungry, and I can't serve pasta again.
What can I make?
Vegan Barbecue Pulled Sweet Potato Sandwiches!
First, I must confess. I LOVE barbecue sauce. I love it with almost anything, so this easy recipe speaks right to my heart. The tangy sauce marries beautifully with tender/crisp bits of sweet potato to make a delicious and filling sandwich with your favorite roll (gluten-free, if necessary). You don't have to keep it just for sandwiches, though. It's delicious alongside macaroni and cheese or over rice, polenta or quinoa.
You can top it with a whole host of veggies. I like kale or shredded purple cabbage. Sometimes I add caramelized onions if I have some on hand or sliced tomatoes. Barbecue Pulled Sweet Potato is a versatile canvas.
You can use your favorite bottled barbecue sauce to keep this really easy, or you can make your own delicious barbecue sauce from Super Seeds.
Barbecue Pulled Sweet Potato Sandwich (vegan, gluten-free, allergen-friendly)
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, scrubbed clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or neutral flavored oil)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 rolls
- 2 leaves lacinto kale, ribs removed and chopped (optional)
- Shred one sweet potato in the skin with a box grater or the grating attachment on your food processor.
- In a medium skillet, heat one teaspoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Spread sweet potato in a layer in the skillet.
- Let cook for 5 minutes without stirring. (This will give you some crunchy bits along with tender bits.)
- Scrape the skillet and mix up the sweet potato.
- Add 1/4 cup barbecue sauce to sweet potato and stir together so all of the sweet potato is coated.
- Add more sauce if you want it to be saucier!
- Cook on low heat for another five to fifteen minutes. (The longer it cooks, the more flavorful it will be.)
- Divide between rolls and garnish with kale.
Easy Barbecue Sauce (vegan, gluten-free and allergen-friendly)
Makes 1 Cup
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-fruit grape jelly or preserves
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. The sauce should be thick and reduced by about half.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in a tight-lidded container for up to 1 week.
My new book, Ancient Grains: A Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Millet, Oats, Spelt, Farro, Sorghum & Teff (Superfoods for Life), is available for pre-order now. Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.