I make waffles pretty often for my family. When I want to make a special breakfast -- or breakfast for dinner -- I find waffles easier and neater to make than pancakes.
Recently, So Delicious sent me a whole bunch of their reformulated coconut milk coffee creamers. They didn't ask me to do anything with them, but I knew that they would make spectacular waffles.
I was right! The French Vanilla coffee creamer adds a sweet, rich flavor to these waffles. They have a crispy exterior and fluffy interior. In this recipe, chia seeds do double duty.
First, the chia seeds act as the egg replacer, making for light and fluffy vegan waffles.
Second, the chia seeds act as a binder for the gluten-free flour. Normally in gluten-free waffles, you would need xantham gum or guar gum, but in this case, the chia seeds hold it all together.
You could change the flavor of these waffles by using a different flavor of coffee creamer.
French Vanilla Gluten-free and Vegan Waffles
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, gently melted
- 2 1/4 cups non-dairy French Vanilla creamer (I used So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk French Vanilla Creamer)
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur brand.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Combine chia seeds and water in a large bowl and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
2. Preheat waffle iron to medium-high.
3. Blend together chia gel, coconut oil and creamer.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
5. Mix in wet ingredients.
6. Pour 1/4 cup mixture onto hot waffle iron.
7. Cook until golden brown, approximately 7-8 minutes.
8. Repeat with remaining batter.
FTC Disclosure: I received coffee creamer from So Delicious to try. I did not receive any compensation for this post, and all opinions are my own.
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.