|Photo credit: Bill Milne from Super Seeds|
Looking for an entree to serve at your Thanksgiving holiday dinner that will work for everyone? The Amaranth Stuffed Acorn Squash from Super Seeds is not only delicious and packed with seasonal flavors, but it also fits the Welcoming Kitchen model -- it's vegan, gluten-free and free of the top 8 allergens.
Amaranth Stuffed Acorn Squash from Super Seeds (vegan, gluten-free, food allergy safe)
Makes 2 Servings
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion (approximately ½ onion)
- 2 tablespoons diced, dried, unsulphured apricots
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup prepared amaranth
To Prepare the Squash
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds.
3. Lay squash facedown in a rimmed baking dish or pan.
4. Add water until it’s halfway up the sides of the squash.
5. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven without turning off the heat.
To Make the Stuffing
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until onions are soft but not brown.
3. Add apricots, paprika, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add pumpkin seeds , and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Remove mixture from heat and stir in amaranth. (If using amaranth that has been refrigerated, combine over heat for another 1 to 2 minutes.)
To Finish the Dish
1. Scoop half of the filling into one of the squash halves.
2. Repeat with the other half of the squash.
3. Bake filling side up for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and serve.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.