In no way are these vegan, gluten-free cupcakes health food, but they are delicious. The zucchini keeps the cupcakes moist without lending a vegetable flavor. You just taste chocolate-y cake topped with tangy/sweet frosting. Yum!
Dairy-free and Soy-free Cream Cheese Frosting (Yogurt Frosting)
(Makes more than enough to frost 15 cupcakes or a double-layer cake.)
- 4 tablespoons soy-free Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1/2 cup So Delicious vanilla cultured coconut milk yogurt
- 4 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- In a food processor, blend together Earth Balance and yogurt.
- Add in powdered sugar, and process together until smooth.
- Refrigerate frosting to allow it to firm up before spreading. (If you know that you want a pretty firm frosting, you can add more powdered sugar in that step as this is a softer frosting.)
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes (adapted from Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes )
Makes 15 cupcakes
3 cups gluten-free oat flour (or 3 cups GF all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 t. xanthan gum)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup So Delicious vanilla or chocolate cultured coconut milk
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar (or evaporated cane juice)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups raw grated zucchini
1 cup allergy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Oil muffin pans or line with muffin papers.
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour (or all-purpose flour and xanthan gum), baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder; stir with a whisk.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce with 3/4 teaspoon baking powder. Add cultured coconut milk, sugars, oil, and vanilla to applesauce. Thoroughly mix zucchini into applesauce mixture.
- Mix dry ingredients into zucchini mixture. Stir chocolate chips into batter.
- Spoon into oiled muffin pan or muffin pan lined with paper liners. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.