|Chickens enjoying the good life at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary.|
How can you replace eggs in your baking?
This question, a common one for vegans or folks living with an egg allergy, is becoming relevant even to people who usually eat eggs. Why?
Aside from the animal welfare concerns that are an ongoing issue in the egg-laying industry, due to the bird flu, millions of egg-laying hens have been killed resulting in an increase in egg prices.
What are some easy, whole foods, plant-based ways to replace eggs in your baking recipes?
Each of these options is a substitute for one egg in a recipe:
- 1/4 cup applesauce plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seed plus 3 tablespoons water, stir and let sit for 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal plus 3 tablespoons water, stir and let sit for 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree.
Some recipes to try:
- Happy Birthday Cupcakes
- Gluten-free Sugar Cookies
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.