I have a day job outside of writing recipes. (That explains why my posts are so infrequent!)
I write grants for a program that provides housing and services to homeless women and children and families who are impacted by domestic violence. These past couple of weeks, my day job has been very busy!
I have been running to meetings, staying up late writing, and scrambling to keep up with my mama duties all while getting ready for the launch of my new book. Ugh!
It's been tempting to turn to junk food to keep myself going -- and believe me, there has been too much indulgence going on! -- but I know that what I really need is good fuel. Good fuel that I can take with me when I'm rushing around trying not to drop any of the balls I'm juggling.
This recipe is a tidy solution to my need to eat healthy while on the run. I cooked up a pot of oatmeal, but instead of eating it right away, I baked into a little package. I'm not sure cookie is the right word, but I'm not sure what to call it. These little oatmeal snacks are crunchy on the outside, soft and oatmeal-y on the inside and they really satisfy. With applesauce for sweetness, whole-grain oats for staying power, and shelled hemp seeds for protein, they have saved the day more than once this week.
Bake up a batch and then pop them in the refrigerator or freezer. When you need a wholesome breakfast or snack, heat a couple of them up in the oven or toaster.
Applesauce Hemp Breakfast Cookies (vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, food allergy safe)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds or hemp hearts
- Sprinkling of cinnamon
- Combine oats and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until oatmeal is soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in applesauce and hemp seeds.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop oatmeal 1/4 cup at a time. Shape into a round patty.
- Repeat for remaining oatmeal.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with cinnamon.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until outside of cookies is firm and golden.
- Enjoy warm.
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.