It's pie time!
Apple pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie. It's fall, and fall equals pie time in my eyes. (Though summery pies are pretty darn yummy, too.)
I make a variety of pie crusts, and the crust recipe in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes is one of the most popular recipes I've ever written.
Sometimes, though, you need a crust that comes together in minutes. And tastes good.
I am swamped with a new project I'm working on, but I really wanted to get this recipe for you in case you NEED a new pie crust recipe for all of those apples you just picked. That's why the picture that goes with this post uses pie crust, but the picture is for Make Your Own Toaster Pastries, instead of pie. I just don't have time to whip up a pie right now to take a pretty picture. I hope you understand.
This crust uses two gifts to allergen-free kitchens: Earth Balance Buttery Spread (available in a soy-free version) and Daiya cream cheese. Although I love to cook from whole foods ingredients, sometimes (often lately!) I need the help of processed ingredients that are safe for my family. These two companies come to the rescue in my kitchen frequently.
This recipe is a jumping off point. You can use a gluten-free all-purpose flour, instead, but you should add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. Don't need it gluten-free? You can use all-purpose flour.
Easiest Pie Crust (vegan, gluten-free)
Makes a crust for one 9-inch pie
- 1/2 cup Daiya cream cheese style spread
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (soy-free, if necessary)
- 2 cups oat flour (gluten-free, if necessary)
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine cream cheese and buttery spread.
- Slowly mix in flour until it's all incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a disk, they either roll it out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin or press it into your pie plate.
- Follow pie instructions. (If your crust needs to prebake, this one might take a little longer than called for. Check it after 10 minutes at 350, but you might need to keep it in and check it every 5 minutes until desired level of doneness.)
My new book Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.