|Gluten-free, Vegan Strawberry Scone|
Is there a better way to show the dads in your life that you love them than by baking up a treat?
I don't think so!
It's even better if that treat tastes delicious, but doesn't keep you in the kitchen for hours.
Scones are a favorite at our house. We serve them at breakfast, but then nibble on them throughout the day. (Hopefully setting some aside for the next day.)
Scones are a heartier baked good, too, so you can box some up to bring with you to a brunch or for coffee.
I created this recipe for The Balanced Platter a while back, but I thought I'd bring it back just in time to use some of those farmer's market-fresh strawberries this weekend.
I shared this with Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love.
Makes 8 Scones
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking mix (I used King Arthur Flour brand.)
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (or evaporated cane juice)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
5 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan buttery spread (I used soy-free Earth Balance.)
1 cup rice milk or other non-dairy milk
1 cup hulled and quartered strawberries
Preparation:Happy Fathers's Day,
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum.
4. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in buttery spread. Add non-dairy milk and stir thoroughly.
5. Mix in fruit.
6. Shape batter into a round disk, measuring approximately 7 inches across. (Note, the dough will be pretty damp. That's ok.)
7. With a large knife, cut the disk into eight wedges.
8. Place each wedge on the baking sheet, or alternatively you can cut the disk right on the silpat or parchment and nudge the wedges apart with the knife.
9. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly golden.
Find more tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.