Christmas-time is all about excess. We bake loads of cookies and make lots of candies so that we have plenty on hand when friends stop by or to give as a gift. Valentine's Day is a different story.
I want to shower my loved ones with treats on the special day, but I don't want extra goodies laying around to tempt me as I try to continue my healthier living goals that I set just a month ago.
Windy City Cocoa, my new vegan, gluten-free all-natural hot cocoa mix, is the perfect base to make a smaller batch of treats. One pack of cocoa makes 6 decadent, delicious truffles. Perfect for my guys on the special day.
If you have a packet of Windy City Cocoa in your cupboard, you can make a hot cocoa when you want one, but you can also transform it easily into a mug cake, pudding, smoothie, ice cream, or these truffles.
They are tender, rich and super chocolaty. To keep them firm, you should serve them from the refrigerator. The flavor makes me think of chocolate ice cream. They are delicious as is, but if you want to dress them up, you can roll them in powdered sugar or cocoa powder. I suggest serving them in candy papers, as they are a messy treat.
Two Ingredient Hot Cocoa Truffles (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, allergy friendly)
Makes 6 Truffles
- 1 packet Windy City Cocoa
- 5 tablespoons coconut cream (Put one can full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Scoop off the firm cream that forms at the top of the can.)
- Powdered sugar or cocoa powder for rolling. (Optional)
- Thoroughly combine the Windy City Cocoa and the coconut cream. A food processor works well to blend them thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a covered bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined plate or cookie sheet. Loosely cover with parchment paper, a paper towel or plastic wrap.
- If you are going to roll them, put a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar or cocoa powder on a plate and roll truffles one at a time to coat.
- Place truffles in candy papers before serving.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.