|These tender burgers don't need many ingredients to taste delicious.|
We just got back from a family vacation that involved a 14-hour drive. That equates to a whole lot of not-so-great-for-you food if you're in my family.
After indulging on vacation, and then eating a lot of easy food on the road, I really needed something fresh (but easy, I'm still unpacking!) that I could feed my guys.
These burgers use one of my favorite ingredients, hemp seeds for their nutty flavor, high protein content and lots and lots of nutrients. (They are one of the seeds featured in my new book, SUPER SEEDS.) They get a freshness punch from parsley and rolled oats (gluten-free if you need it) helps hold them together.
I served these tender burgers with a baked potato and some fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. You could also wrap them in a lettuce leaf or tortilla or serve them on your favorite bun.
I hope you're enjoying easy-going days and tasty treats this summer!
Chickpea Hemp Vegan Burgers (vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free)
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed or 1 3/4 cups cooked
- 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds (or hemp hearts)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup rolled oats or old-fashioned oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, but not brown (a couple of minutes).
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients including sauteed vegetables until blended together. The beans should still have some texture, but there shouldn't be any whole beans left. Don't wipe out skillet.
- Reheat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Form bean mixture into four patties.
- Cook on each side until brown, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side.
My new book, SUPER SEEDS, is available for pre-order now. You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.