April, it turns out, is National Grilled Cheese Month.
As a true-blue fan of this sandwich art-form, I had to create a special sandwich for this month-long celebration.
You might be thinking that grilled cheese sandwiches might not be on the menu in a Welcoming Kitchen. No gluten? No dairy? Honestly, it's no problem!
This sandwich is gooey and crispy, while tasting fresh and spicy. The structure of the sandwich is a quesadilla made from corn tortillas (or other tortilla of your choosing) with the flavorful new Daiya offering Jalapeno Garlic Havarti Style Wedge. (If you read this blog, you know that I'm a huge fan of Daiya. No, they didn't provide me with anything to sing their praises.)
The center of the sandwich has marinated cabbage, a little chives for that onion-y flavor without the bad breath, tomatoes and avocado.
I bet you're drooling now. You'd better hurry up and make this before April ends. Oh, who am I kidding? I eat grilled cheeses all year round!
I shared this recipe with Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love , Allergy Friendly Fridays and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.
Spicy Crunchy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Makes 2 sandwiches
1 tablespoon lime juice (fresh-squeezed, if possible)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
dash of salt
a couple of grinds of pepper
1 tablespoon chives, finely diced
1 cup shredded cabbage
4 corn tortillas
2 ounces Daiya Jalapeno Garlic Havarti Wedge non-dairy cheese (or other vegan cheese)
1. Combine lime juice, olive oil, agave and salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Add chives and cabbage to dressing, toss, and set aside.
3. Over a medium flame, cook 2 quesadillas (tortilla, cheese, tortilla stack for each) until cheese is melted, flipping halfway through -- about 3-4 minutes total.
4. Remove quesadillas from heat, cut in half.
5. Make a sandwich with one half of a quesadilla on the bottom, half of the salad, tomatoes and avocado in the middle, and the other half of the quesadilla on top. Repeat for second sandwich.
Find more tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen and Gluten-free Vegan Recipes.